June Networking Breakfast - 5 Key Moments
- Posted on: 21st June 2018
- Posted in: News
5 Key Moments from June's Network Pompey Business Club networking breakfast at Fratton Park!
1) Jess Lavery, professional sailor for the British Sailing Team, joined us in-between European and World Championship competitions for a Q&A.
2) Jess spoke about how to be a professional sailor has been a lifelong dream, however not one she realistically thought she would reach. At the age of 5 Jess had her first experience on the water and was hooked. Training hard throughout her early teens, at 18 her dream turned into reality as she became a professional sailor, working full time with the British Sailing Team, and now competing across the world.
3) Jess spends the majority of time away from home competing in competitions worldwide, however her main goal – and has been for the past few years - is to reach the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. She explained how getting there will not be easy – as each nation represented at the Olympics is only allowed to enter one boat, meaning that Jess could finish second in the World Championships next month but still not make it to Tokyo.
4) The British Sailing Team is lottery funded, however, those funds only cover basic living expenses. Jess is always on the look-out for potential sponsorship – there are opportunities for your business to help her reach the Olympics and win a Gold for Team GB! You can keep up with Jess’s progress on Instagram, Facebook or contact her direct at email@example.com.
5) New members in attendance were welcomed, which this month included PRYZM Portsmouth and Castle Water!
Network Pompey Business Club is part of the Network My Club group, and details of other upcoming events mentioned at the meeting are: