August Networking Breakfast - 5 Key Moments
- Posted on: 16th August 2018
- Posted in: News
5 Key Moments from August's sold out Network Pompey Business Club networking breakfast at Fratton Park!
1) Head of Performance & Recruitment at Portsmouth Football Club, Dave Wright, joined us as guest speaker at this month’s event, which due to ever increasing numbers, was held in the Victory Lounge.
2) Dave started off his career in football as a player, beginning his career at his hometown club, Pompey, then joining Crystal Palace before a serious injury forced him to retire. Dave decided that a natural path for him would be to go into teaching, and soon after was approached by Pompey to become an Academy Coach in which he went on to spend seven years in a role. Dave then went onto become Academy Director at Stoke City in the Premier League, as well as having a role with the Premier League and Football League, before returning to Pompey earlier this year.
3) When asked about the long and short-term plans for the club, Dave reiterated the importance of attracting young talent and presenting them with a path to play for the first team at Fratton Park in future years. Since the recent takeover at Pompey, the focus for the academy programmes has been to not only produce players for the first team, but to also produce players that could eventually become valuable assets for other clubs. For example, when former homegrown Pompey defender Adam Webster transferred from Ipswich to Bristol City this summer, due to clauses in the deal when he left Pompey, the club received a cut of £1m from the £5m transfer!
5) Frank Wright from Portsmouth Football Club spoke about upcoming opportunities at Fratton Park whether that be for business or leisure. Find more information here.
Network Pompey Business Club is part of the Network My Club group, and details of other upcoming events mentioned at the meeting are: